The information below will answer the most common questions about accessing the collections in
the Special Collections and Archives Department. Researchers are urged to contact the department
with any additional questions – the archives staff welcome the chance to work with you.
Missouri State University
Special Collections and Archives
Meyer Library Room 306
901 S National Ave
Springfield, MO 65897
Meet the Staff
Guidelines for Donations
The Special Collections and Archives Department is actively seeking materials that complement
the existing holdings. Potential donors are encouraged to contact the Archives to discuss
guidelines for donations to the collections.
Accessing the Collections
When processing is complete on an archival collection, a finding aid is developed and placed
online. Currently the finding aids may be accessed alphabetically by collection
name and by broad
Special Collections often allows access to unprocessed collections, but such access is at the
discretion of the archives staff. Researchers planning to use unprocessed materials should make
arrangements ahead of time so the materials can be reviewed. Researchers should also recognize
that working with collections with minimal or no organization can be a time consuming, but
potentially rewarding, task.
In addition, the book collections are cataloged and included in the University Libraries
online catalog, SWAN. As with all materials in Special Collections,
the books must be used in the Reading Room and cannot be checked out.
Please note that the holdings listed on this webpage and in SWAN
are only a part of the department’s materials. Researchers should contact the department to learn about the
collections that are not yet included here.
- All users must show positive current photo identification.
- Food, drink, and smoking are not permitted.
- Keep the records in their present arrangement. Loose pages will stay in order if turned
like pages in a book.
- Please use only one folder of materials at a time.
- Make no marks, erasures or other changes to the records.
- Use pencil only; the use of ink is prohibited.
- Photocopying is permitted if it is in accordance with donor agreements and copyright
restrictions, unless the item is fragile or too large. All photocopying is done by archives
- Materials are for reference use only. The user agrees to publish no portion of them
without the written permission of Missouri State University Libraries, and assumes sole
responsibility for any infringement of the literary rights, copyrights, or other rights which
pertain to these materials.
- The materials may not circulate outside the Department.
- Theft, destruction or mutilation of library materials is a crime (MoRS 570.200-570.215)
- Citations should follow this format: identification of the item, name of the collection,
Special Collections and Archives, Missouri State University.
Suggestions For First Time Visitors
- Bring pencils and paper; we do not allow pens and some items may be too fragile to
- Photocopying is done at the discretion of archives staff.
- Patrons should have their University or other photo identification available.
- Complete call number information is necessary when requesting a book. This information
can be obtained by consulting the online catalog (SWAN).
- Research in primary sources is often time-consuming, so allow adequate time to use
special collections and archives materials. It is advisable to consult secondary or published
sources before beginning research in primary sources.
- Prior to visiting campus, researchers are encouraged to contact the department to discuss
research needs. Brief contact prior to a visit can result in a more efficient research
- Visitor parking information is available online.